lifeblood: listlogs: 2007-004


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 12 Jan 2007 07:03:59 +0000
From:    Greg Flamer <gflamer@hotmail.com>
Subject: IG on Ellen

So they finally showed up today on Ellen.  God bless Tivo once again for
getting the update without my lifting a finger.   I was struck by the Little
Perennials performance and how great IG sound with a band--especially on
this song.  Makes me realize I haven't seen them perform live with a band in
many years.  I don't even know who's in their band and recognized no one on
tv today.

They seemed real chummy with Ellen as they faded to commercial after the
performance.  I continue to have no clue why talk shows do not interview
musical guests--even Ellen didn't interview.  Came back from commercial and
Ellen even admits--we have extra time, but rather than interview her buds,
she goes back to some lame bit with an audience member.  Boo!  When's
Charlie Rose having em on again?  :)

Good to see the girls on tv as always.  They looked fabulous.

_________________________________________________________________
Communicate instantly! Use your Hotmail address to sign into Windows Live
Messenger now. http://get.live.com/messenger/overview

--
Please do not send long non-Indigo Girls-related forwards to the list.
Indigo Girls FAQ and Indigo Girls Mailing List FAQ:
http://www.pixelopolis.com/ig

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 12 Jan 2007 06:05:25 -0500
From:    Ron McBay <usul@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: IG on Ellen

GF> From: Greg Flamer <gflamer@hotmail.com>
GF> They seemed real chummy with Ellen as they faded to commercial after
the
GF> performance.  I continue to have no clue why talk shows do not
interview
GF> musical guests--even Ellen didn't interview.
.
. This is one of my biggest pet peeves. About the only time it ever
happened consistently was on MTV's "120 Minutes" or maybe when Jon Stewart
had his MTV talk show. About all you get now is "Storytellers" where you
get a couple of sentences about the meaning of a song, but even that's not
a conversation. We need "The Good Old Days" of Tom Snyder, Dick Cavett, the
early "Tonight Show" where the segments were longer. Even Mike Douglas
talking to Janis Joplin about "a great new singer named Tina Turner" was
better than what you get now (which is nothing). I'd just as soon hear a
songwriter talk about what's on their mind than an actor talk about their
European vacation. At least Charlie Rose is an actual conversation (but his
problem is he does all the talking -- if only Brian Lamb interviewed
musicians!). Travis Smiley does talk to musicians and has a performance as
well.
.
-- Ron

--
Please do not send long non-Indigo Girls-related forwards to the list.
Indigo Girls FAQ and Indigo Girls Mailing List FAQ:
http://www.pixelopolis.com/ig

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 12 Jan 2007 13:40:42 +0000
From:    Tom xxxxx <getula@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: IG on Ellen

This is indeed the most annoying thing about these shows. They spend minutes
talking about complete airhead crap with movie stars but the musical guests
barely get time to play their songs. I wonder how much it has to do with
whether or not the host likes the band (obviously not the case with Ellen
and IG). I've seen Leno talk to both Stevie Nicks and Tori Amos for a bit  
after their performances, but I've seen him not talk to other guests. It's a
mysterious and frustrating situation.

Cheers,
Tom M.
"Can you Mr. Bush light the sage"
--- Tori Amos, "Indian Summer"


>From: Ron McBay <usul@mindspring.com>
>Reply-To: usul@mindspring.com
>To: INDIGO-GIRLS@LISTS.NETSPACE.ORG
>Subject: Re: IG on Ellen
>Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 06:05:25 -0500
>
>GF> From: Greg Flamer <gflamer@hotmail.com>
>GF> They seemed real chummy with Ellen as they faded to commercial after
>the
>GF> performance.  I continue to have no clue why talk shows do not
>interview
>GF> musical guests--even Ellen didn't interview.
>.
>. This is one of my biggest pet peeves. About the only time it ever
>happened consistently was on MTV's "120 Minutes" or maybe when Jon Stewart
>had his MTV talk show. About all you get now is "Storytellers" where you
>get a couple of sentences about the meaning of a song, but even that's not
>a conversation. We need "The Good Old Days" of Tom Snyder, Dick Cavett, the
>early "Tonight Show" where the segments were longer. Even Mike Douglas
>talking to Janis Joplin about "a great new singer named Tina Turner" was
>better than what you get now (which is nothing). I'd just as soon hear a
>songwriter talk about what's on their mind than an actor talk about their
>European vacation. At least Charlie Rose is an actual conversation (but his
>problem is he does all the talking -- if only Brian Lamb interviewed
>musicians!). Travis Smiley does talk to musicians and has a performance as
>well.
>.
>-- Ron
>
>--
>Please do not send long non-Indigo Girls-related forwards to the list.
>Indigo Girls FAQ and Indigo Girls Mailing List FAQ:
>http://www.pixelopolis.com/ig

_________________________________________________________________
The MSN Entertainment Guide to Golden Globes is here.  Get all the scoop.
http://tv.msn.com/tv/globes2007/?icid=nctagline2

--
Please do not send long non-Indigo Girls-related forwards to the list.
Indigo Girls FAQ and Indigo Girls Mailing List FAQ:
http://www.pixelopolis.com/ig

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 12 Jan 2007 07:43:43 -0800
From:    Anna Creech <eclecticlibrarian@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: IG on Ellen

I think the problem is genre-related, as far as Ellen is concerned.  If they
were a hip-hop or R&B band, she would have them over to chat.  How many
times has she had Justin Timberlake on the show to perform and talk?

I don't think they're "buds" necessarily.  They probably end up at a lot of
the same events, since there are (relatively) few out gay celebrities, but I
doubt they hang out off-stage.

Anna

On 1/11/07, Greg Flamer <gflamer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> They seemed real chummy with Ellen as they faded to commercial after the
> performance.  I continue to have no clue why talk shows do not interview
> musical guests--even Ellen didn't interview.  Came back from commercial
> and
> Ellen even admits--we have extra time, but rather than interview her buds,
> she goes back to some lame bit with an audience member.  Boo!  When's
> Charlie Rose having em on again?  :)

--
Please do not send long non-Indigo Girls-related forwards to the list.
Indigo Girls FAQ and Indigo Girls Mailing List FAQ:
http://www.pixelopolis.com/ig

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 12 Jan 2007 17:32:58 +0000
From:    Greg Flamer <gflamer@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: IG on Ellen

Well, Ellen can have Justin T on every day and I wouldn't complain.  But I
used to think it was a timing issue--they would have a 1 minute interview
after they sang if time allowed.  But after yesterday, with 5 full minutes
remaining, who knows.  I'm sure Ellen knows IG's politics and would think
she'd make the time to talk to them a little. That's part of what makes IG
so great--they're great singers and quality humans.

I've probably seen every talk show appearance they've ever been on in the
US.  Matt Lauer talked to them for a bit.  The View always chats with them.  
Leno used to chat with them when he was covering for Carson--never forget
when he made fun of them for losing Best New Artist grammy to Milli
Vanilli--asshole!  Now he doesn't even have them on.  Letterman used to chat
with them--their network tv debut was on his NBC show and he made this whole
stink about them being just Indigo Girls and not THE Indigo Girls and then
proceeded to ask questions about Amy's Sioux Indian cross tattoo.  I yearn
to hear them speak more!  Not likely though.


>From: Anna Creech <eclecticlibrarian@gmail.com>
>Reply-To: Anna Creech <eclecticlibrarian@gmail.com>
>To: INDIGO-GIRLS@LISTS.NETSPACE.ORG
>Subject: Re: IG on Ellen
>Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 07:43:43 -0800
>
>I think the problem is genre-related, as far as Ellen is concerned.  If
>they
>were a hip-hop or R&B band, she would have them over to chat.  How many
>times has she had Justin Timberlake on the show to perform and talk?
>
>I don't think they're "buds" necessarily.  They probably end up at a lot of
>the same events, since there are (relatively) few out gay celebrities, but
>I
>doubt they hang out off-stage.
>
>Anna

_________________________________________________________________
Get FREE Web site and company branded e-mail from Microsoft Office Live
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/mcrssaub0050001411mrt/direct/01/

--
Please do not send long non-Indigo Girls-related forwards to the list.
Indigo Girls FAQ and Indigo Girls Mailing List FAQ:
http://www.pixelopolis.com/ig

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 12 Jan 2007 12:49:11 -0700
From:    Linda Napikoski <napikoski@gmail.com>
Subject: IG, Ellen, Jay, Milli Vanilli, etc.

Based on my various broadcast/editorial production /TV/radio experience,
which is not a lot but more than some, I'd like to remind everyone that
while Ellen or Jay or Matt may have input here and there, in general it's
producers deciding how much time to allow for things, not the hosts. So it
would probably be more instructive for us to watch the credits talk shows to
decide who's behind IG or Justin Timberlake getting time or not getting it.

But here's the important part, Greg -- and btw I'm not normally one to rise
to the defense of Jay Leno -- but I remember that early Tonight Show. I
don't think he was making fun of them.  He was making fun of Milli Vanilli!
He was asking IG a lot of questions and being supportive and he was playing
the Milli Vanilli thing for the laugh (as is his wont) like, "So, Amy,
Emily, tell the crowd who beat you when you were nominated for that best new
artist grammy..."  And it was a way of sort of rallying the audience to
their side--"see, we could have given it to these cool folk chicks and
instead we gave it to lip-synchers! We suck!"   It was actually a good
thing. Pro-IG.

~linda~


On 1/12/07, Greg Flamer <gflamer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Well, Ellen can have Justin T on every day and I wouldn't complain.  But I
> used to think it was a timing issue--they would have a 1 minute interview
> after they sang if time allowed.  But after yesterday, with 5 full minutes
> remaining, who knows.  I'm sure Ellen knows IG's politics and would think
> she'd make the time to talk to them a little. That's part of what makes IG
> so great--they're great singers and quality humans.
>
> I've probably seen every talk show appearance they've ever been on in the
> US.  Matt Lauer talked to them for a bit.  The View always chats with
> them.
> Leno used to chat with them when he was covering for Carson--never forget
> when he made fun of them for losing Best New Artist grammy to Milli
> Vanilli--asshole!  Now he doesn't even have them on.  Letterman used to
> chat
> with them--their network tv debut was on his NBC show and he made this
> whole
> stink about them being just Indigo Girls and not THE Indigo Girls and then
> proceeded to ask questions about Amy's Sioux Indian cross tattoo.  I yearn
> to hear them speak more!  Not likely though.
>
>
> >From: Anna Creech <eclecticlibrarian@gmail.com>
> >Reply-To: Anna Creech <eclecticlibrarian@gmail.com>
> >To: INDIGO-GIRLS@LISTS.NETSPACE.ORG
> >Subject: Re: IG on Ellen
> >Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 07:43:43 -0800
> >
> >I think the problem is genre-related, as far as Ellen is concerned.  If
> >they
> >were a hip-hop or R&B band, she would have them over to chat.  How many
> >times has she had Justin Timberlake on the show to perform and talk?
> >
> >I don't think they're "buds" necessarily.  They probably end up at a lot
> of
> >the same events, since there are (relatively) few out gay celebrities,
> but
> >I
> >doubt they hang out off-stage.
> >
> >Anna
>
> _________________________________________________________________
> Get FREE Web site and company branded e-mail from Microsoft Office Live
> http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/mcrssaub0050001411mrt/direct/01/
>
> --
> Please do not send long non-Indigo Girls-related forwards to the list.
> Indigo Girls FAQ and Indigo Girls Mailing List FAQ:
> http://www.pixelopolis.com/ig
>

--
-------------------------------------------------------
http://lindanapikoski.blogspot.com
------------------------------------------

"'No, life is not over at thirty-one!' Prince Andrei decided
impulsively, finally, and irrevocably."
-- War and Peace

--
Please do not send long non-Indigo Girls-related forwards to the list.
Indigo Girls FAQ and Indigo Girls Mailing List FAQ:
http://www.pixelopolis.com/ig

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 12 Jan 2007 21:33:58 +0000
From:    Greg Flamer <gflamer@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: IG, Ellen, Jay, Milli Vanilli, etc.

I agree about the fact that producers probably run the show and they are the
ones making these annoying decisions.

I am not a Jay Leno hater at all, but in this case he was an ass.  I can't
remember verbatim what was said but I know he quieted the crowd asking--so
you were nominated for two grammys, one for best contemporary folk and the
other for best new artist and you lost to?   IG says Milli Vanilli in unison
to uproarious laughter.  I distinctly remember Jay sarcastically following
with--That has to be satisfying.  It got a good laugh but I thought it was
mean and I can't say pro-IG.  Anyway.....he should have them back on!

>But here's the important part, Greg -- and btw I'm not normally one to rise
>to the defense of Jay Leno -- but I remember that early Tonight Show. I
>don't think he was making fun of them.  He was making fun of Milli Vanilli!
>He was asking IG a lot of questions and being supportive and he was playing
>the Milli Vanilli thing for the laugh (as is his wont) like, "So, Amy,
>Emily, tell the crowd who beat you when you were nominated for that best
>new
>artist grammy..."  And it was a way of sort of rallying the audience to
>their side--"see, we could have given it to these cool folk chicks and
>instead we gave it to lip-synchers! We suck!"   It was actually a good
>thing. Pro-IG.
>
>~linda~

_________________________________________________________________
Communicate instantly! Use your Hotmail address to sign into Windows Live
Messenger now. http://get.live.com/messenger/overview

--
Please do not send long non-Indigo Girls-related forwards to the list.
Indigo Girls FAQ and Indigo Girls Mailing List FAQ:
http://www.pixelopolis.com/ig

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 12 Jan 2007 19:26:20 -0800
From:    Barb Bordner <RitesofPassage04@netscape.com>
Subject: Re: IG on Ellen

Oh, man! I miss Tom Snyderrrrrrrrrrrrr Big Time! That man had some very interesting late night conversation, too bad it "stopped beeing fun" for him (to quote Tom Snyder at the time he retired.) And....now no flames please....I would have loved to see Indigo Girls duking it out against Anne Coulter,& Sean Hannity on Politically Incorrect....that would be fun
to sit and cheer whenever Amy and Emily score a point against such ignorance. While many listees don't like Bill Maher
for some of his DUMB statements.....and he did and STILL does make them, probably just for shock value...I learned to ferret OUT the points he MEANT from the ones he just said because he's Bill Maher. I liked him for his support of gay marriage, he's against the war on Afghanistan at a time when everyone in this country seemed to be living in Bushland, USA
thanks to 9-11.He encouraged people to get Hybrid cars to help the environment. And he made me laugh at myself.

I don't watch him anymore because I don't get HBO. I'll take him over Jimmy Dumbo Kimmel anytime.

I loved the Charlie Rose interview just because I waited for years to see the Girls get so much more than just a two-minute slot on ANY tv show....(I hate that when shows stick their musicians on at the end, with no interview....I mean come on Angelina Jolie gets all this attention for HER causes,why not grill IG on THEIRS.) I felt that eventhough Charlie obviously didn't do his homework IG's political side as much as I would have LOVED to see him and them choose what political issue they want to discuss and really grill them on the hard news of the day....as much as I would have LOVED that....I am pleased that he even took the time to have them on for twenty minutes at all...that to me was unprecidented in IG TV history. And I KNOW that ELLEN likes them a lot,they go back ten years now. (Can you believe it's been that long?) So...what's the deal?

Oh, well...at least I got to watch them.I got the DVD for Charlie Rose's interview of IG for Christmas, and I love it.
I especially laugh when I hear Amy volunteer the comment, "Oh I'm definitely not gonna vote for Bush," because to hear her say otherwise would be so hysterical, I'd know right away she's lying through her teeth, I'd be so NOT USED TO HEARING THAT from IG I'd think they're joking.

And lastly....as for Bush, especially after the other night,he really deserves to get SLAMMED ALL THE WAY TO IRAQ. He wants to "win," so badly, fine let him send Jenna and Barbara to fight for his war for peace.

--- usul@mindspring.com wrote:

From: Ron McBay <usul@mindspring.com>
To: INDIGO-GIRLS@LISTS.NETSPACE.ORG
Subject: Re: IG on Ellen
Date:         Fri, 12 Jan 2007 06:05:25 -0500

GF> From: Greg Flamer <gflamer@hotmail.com>
GF> They seemed real chummy with Ellen as they faded to commercial after
the
GF> performance.  I continue to have no clue why talk shows do not
interview
GF> musical guests--even Ellen didn't interview.
.
. This is one of my biggest pet peeves. About the only time it ever
happened consistently was on MTV's "120 Minutes" or maybe when Jon Stewart
had his MTV talk show. About all you get now is "Storytellers" where you
get a couple of sentences about the meaning of a song, but even that's not
a conversation. We need "The Good Old Days" of Tom Snyder, Dick Cavett, the
early "Tonight Show" where the segments were longer. Even Mike Douglas
talking to Janis Joplin about "a great new singer named Tina Turner" was
better than what you get now (which is nothing). I'd just as soon hear a
songwriter talk about what's on their mind than an actor talk about their
European vacation. At least Charlie Rose is an actual conversation (but his
problem is he does all the talking -- if only Brian Lamb interviewed
musicians!). Travis Smiley does talk to musicians and has a performance as
well.
.
-- Ron

--
Please do not send long non-Indigo Girls-related forwards to the list.
Indigo Girls FAQ and Indigo Girls Mailing List FAQ:
http://www.pixelopolis.com/ig


_____________________________________________________________
Netscape.  Just the Net You Need.

--
Please do not send long non-Indigo Girls-related forwards to the list.
Indigo Girls FAQ and Indigo Girls Mailing List FAQ:
http://www.pixelopolis.com/ig

------------------------------


home | appearances | articles | bootlegs | discography | fanzine | faq | fun | listlogs | official | socs | songs | videos | youtube